Monday 28 April 2014

My Top Movies on DANCE

The movies I am enlisting here are of no sequence based on my affection. I loved watching them and so that I am jotting their names up over here. 


1. Black Swan :

This movie keeps on staying at the top of my chart of best dance movies. A complete amalgamation of different emotions a performer may have is the overall outcome of the movie.How much someone can devote herself to one character that she forgets her own identity for frequent times to find the best input to give on stage. The trembling juggles a mind can give before performance is true and can be related & at last the joy of satisfaction a performer can realize after giving 100% is spellbound. A must watch for all performer artists.

My Rating : 4.5/5




2. Billy Elliot :

Who says dance is not the cup of tea for boys? Dance is for everyone. Dance is within the alives and yes Billy proved it.The story of a teen boy and his passion of becoming a Ballet dancer from leaving the boxing gloves behind.A tremendous movie to showcase the passion of Billy and his living the life through Dance. Try Try Try and there you are perfect in front of the mirror.




My Rating : 4/5

3. Dance like a man : 

And again another brick wall in front of the will. Dance is not for men ? Shocking na ?The movie is a parallel story of male classical dancer who suffers from the contradiction of pursuing his passion along with his extra talented dancer wife who is undoubtedly better than him for which he suffers regularly from the mind and the demotivating words from father for being a classical dancer.A dramatic tale of a dancer couple, how they struggle together, cross their barriers and their odyssey to accomplish their dream of passion through their daughter's rhythmic body movements. What I loved in this movie was the classical items of Smt. Shobhana. It was overwhelming to see her vibrant expressions through her aesthetic bold mudras & neat postures. Yes Anushka Shankar was a pleasant surprise without Sitaar.


My Rating : 4/5

4. Navrang: 

One of my childhood holi favorite. It is not a typical dance movie. Rather I should say it as as movie of  Art, Color and Execution of fairy imagination. An artist imagines his shy housewife as dancing enchantress of fairy tale, knits the colorful frames of fantasies to an elegant outcome of art and pleasure. The song's execution was extremely beautiful. My favorite songs are Tu chuupi hain kahan, Are ja hat nat ghat, Adhaa hain chandrama. I always find Sandhya's dance a bit different from usual dance. 




My Rating : 4/5

5. Save the last dance:

An aspiring ballerina who quits her career of dance in the memory of her mother post her mother's sudden demise, regains the interest again with the support of her boyfriend, learns hip hops in the middle of the Negros and at last accomplishes her hidden dream to get admission into her dream destination. A good watch.




My Rating : 3/5


6. Dirty Dancing:

Nothing can be more romantic than having an intense passionate dance with your partner. And if a girl gets a dancing instructor like Johny (Patrick Swayze), then Oh My My... any girl will fall for sure. Romantic and sizzling dance movie.


My Rating : 3/5

7. Step Up:

This dancing reel and real life couple I envy for. Tatum and Dewan was tremendously good while dancing together. Tatum's Hip Hop was awestrucking where as Dewan's slim lite physique any dancer would love to have. A good romantic dance movie.



My Rating : 3/5

7. Flashdance :

Though the story was not an exceptional, I can never forget "What a Feeling".. The music was so groovy and energizing. Loved Jennifer Beals



My Rating : 3/5

8. Silver Linings Playbook

Dance, Music and art can be the best healers, stress busters and the best medication for depression and parallel psychology.Two depressed, mentally ill people overcome their weakness through the dance lessons together and that's why it made the Oscar I guess. A complete feel good positive movie.


My Rating : 3/5

9. ABCD [Any Body Can Dance]

First 3D dance movie of India and totally loved it. The story line may not be so strong but the execution from the first to end was just amazing. The main crew was all dancers, right from the director - Remo D'Souza, the lead actor - Prabhu Deva, the co-lead actor - Ganesh Acharya and the other notable dancers/ choreographers were amazing. Though the rain dance part was quite similar to Step up but still Sadda Dil vi Tu & Bezubaan snatched my mind.



My Rating : 4/5

10. Aja Nachle

What a come back of Madhuri Dixit after long time. The movie might not become a hit but I loved the movie. The total concept of the movie was inspirational. Carrying up Guruji's dream through out everyone's heart and basic movements was like Renaissance. We all have dance in us but we find it difficult to expose in-front of others thinking of that what other would think. Just leave the thought and open up and you are the happiest.



My Rating : 3/5

11. Devdas

I know this movie doesn't tell any story of Dance or the struggle of a Dancer. But the movie was hit due to heavy classical touches over its grand portrayal. Isn't it? Right from Madhuri Dixit's Kathak items choreographed by Pt.Birju Maharaj and the other artistic choreographies by Saroj ji and others. The music, voices were the perfect blend to turn on any dancer's feet. So it was my favorite and still is my favorite.




My Rating : 3/5

12. Nache Mayuri

What can  be most painful other than snatching away feet of a dancer ? Nothing can be. Even this one is my most dangerous nightmare. My legs start shivering even in dreams . But with Sudha Chandran it happened. The movie gives pain and goosebumps, brings up tears of loosing and sobs of falling down. But nothing can stop a dancer is music is on. Sudha Chandran is a landmark in our country for what she did and what she has achieved. No one is handicapped if mind is strong enough. She won over her weakness, started practicing her dance with a pair of wooden legs and she is a big celebrity now. This movie was her auto biography. She fell down several times but she never gave up and She is one of my admiration. Hats off !! 



My Rating : 4.5/5

13. Muktodhara

Even this movie also tells a true story. Music, Art and cultural activities can hypnotize any person to an open world of freedom, joy and pleasure. And if I am not wrong this is called Music Therapy. A criminal/murderer gets changed completely after getting molded by Dancedrama. The actor who played the role is the real life protagonist. He self portrayed his character. His name is Nigel Akkara.  Rituparna Sengupta played the role of famous Odissi dancer Alokananda Roy. Hats off ! to her again for such a noble giving and try. This movie is a must watch. If you haven't ever watched it, try watching.



My Rating : 4/5

14. Mao's Last Dancer


The movie is a biographical drama of ballet dancer Li CunXin and based upon his autobiography of the same name. As the movie is an autobiography of a ballet dancer, surely the movie was all about DANCE. I love Ballet. So So much. Even I am eager to learn this form. So watching this movie was experiencing a smooth journey towards the world of poetry, Poetry of Ballet Dance. The Dance pieces were beautiful and the lead actor portrayed the character so well that no one can pick any flaws up from his skills. A dancer can go through struggles, pain and fame too. This story depicts the same.



My Rating : 4/5


Unfortunately I could not reach 15. But as soon as I watch more movies on dance, I will update the post may be write a new post on this topic again !! 


Wish everyone Happy World Dance Day

Happy World Dance Day to all dancers among my friend list, to all those who worship it as their passion, love and joy and Even to those who dance to chill, to have fun and to destress.. So fill your life up with Music, the extra movements which your body and mind loves to do.. Keep the light of D.A.N.C.E ON in your heart always.. Stay young.. Stay youthful .. Stay Happy.. 

Because You know A(Anybody).B(Body).C(Can).D(Dance)..   Kudos !! 



Posted By Debarati Datta Read about me here blogging since 2011 Copyright © Debarati Datta Privacy Policy

2 comments:

Thanks for reading the post and if you like it then don't forget to fill a comment and send that to me .