Friday 7 December 2012

Trip to Madurai


                                                                       Trip to Madurai

It was 2008,February month.. I got a golden opportunity to visit Madurai.. It was a sudden plan for me..My next door hostel mate was Vinithra Akka..I wasn't much close to her.But I was damn close to Rubini Di..my double Senior.Ha ha ha !!! Why Double Senior ?? Sounded like weird right ?That time I was in 2nd year and she was in 4th year.So Vinithra akka was her room mate.I used to go to Rubini Di's room daily so got familiar with Vinithra akka too.

So it was her marriage in Madurai for which I got a special invitation.. had an extreme wish from my soul that "yes I need to go"..But my college,the restricted rules were not at all allowing me to leave.But it was Rubini Di who managed it nicely.I still remember we were in Dept. at evening and were begging for the permission. At last HOD permitted me for two days and Bang On !!! went to hostel, packed bag and started the journey towards Madurai ...  

First long journey via Bus that too in an unknown city,unknown road and for an unseen marriage ever in my life.First Tamil Marriage to attend.Whoaa !!!! the bus journey was awesome ... via Trichy we were moving towards Madurai..for whole night ...sometimes we were sleeping,sometimes watching the movie which was going on in the bus .. In just one line I want to say.. I was enjoying that in a damn way..Next day early morning when we reached Vinithra akka's home,an awesome,hearty welcome was waiting for us.I was overwhelmed by their reception..Yes I became a centre of attraction as I was non-Tamilian.The homely environment,the homely food,the behaviour towards me was unexpectedly good. ☺

The day we reached was the pre marriage day..So all the people in the home were very busy with their rituals.But Vinithra Akkas brother and sister didn't let us to feel bored.They simply planned to take us for a short trip around the city.I was damn excited.Madurai is well known tourist place.First we went out for simple moppet ride near the home..not much near...The road was quite inside from Akkas's home..and the road wasn't much smooth for moppet riding..But who cares ??? Couldn't imagine that Rubini Di would know that well to ride a moppet..So she was the moppet-er ☺ and I was the back seater.☺.Went for few KMs and then returned back.Then got ready for Madurai City trip.

In late afternoon we opted for visiting MEENAXI AMMAN TEMPLE. The famous temple with four Gobarams(Entrances) which had been selected for Guinness book of world Records once.Really have to say the temple of Pandyan Dynasty is so huge in size and consists of  lots of God and Goddess..Anyone can get lost by themselves...For 4 long hrs we were roaming inside the temple.But couldn't cover up it..ALAS !!! Anyway it was quite late in evening so couldn't get the chance to visit Thirumallai Palace as it gets closed earlier..So the market place we started to roam in... The Famous Jigadthanda,a cool drink of Madurai made my day..For me it was the first time to have that kind of awesome cool drink..It was damn different.Friends if you are planning to go Madurai,then please have a sip of Jigadthanda..like the name,it will "thanda" your "Jigad"..☺☺☺..then what ?? we came back to home and had dinner and slept off !!

Woke up in the next morning.It was the day of marriage.I,along with their family went to Mandapam(the place where marriage takes place).It was day time.. The mandapam was big enough to  hold large number of people.All the ladies were wearing the Kanjibharam Pattu silk sarees,tieing their hair with Poo(flowers) and lots of Gold Jewelleries (Gosh Gosh..With Bulging eyes)..I was the odd one out there to wear some kind of Salwar suit .. At the entrance of the mandapam Lord Ganesha was welcoming us with a nice posture..the sounds of Nadaswaram was coming all along and was giving the entire atmosphere a holy rhythmic aura... The saddest part for me was the lunch menu..In our side,usually we have non-veg items in marriage ceremonies but when unexpectedly I found all the items as Veg items my heart broke down for a while.. But it doesn't matter when there is touch of love and adore... There was as usual Rice,Sambhar,2-3 kinds of Poriel(veg curries),Rasam,Moore,Payesam(it was superb),Aplam(Papad) and sweets.. After attending the marriage ceremony it was the time to visit the unseen place of Madurai which was left the previous day.

The Thirumallai Palace...When first I heard this name didn't get that much excitement .. Just like any other historical Palace I was searching the feel of Nostalgia... But when I got to know that it was the place of  "Kehna hi Kya from Bombay" and " Tere Bina from Guru" I was totally stunned.. if you get anything as a surprise it feels awesome.For me also the same thing happened.Wow..My favourite star Aishwarya Danced on the same floor where I was walking on.Thinking of this I was going gaga.Had spent nice time in Thirumallai Palace..Then time came to return  back to home and then to start a journey for college.Was pretty sad...Who wouldn't be ??? after such a fun within two days with full of surprise anyone would have faced the trouble which I was going through... more than 4 years have passed but still I can't forget the love,the enjoyment I got during those 2days.And I am still thankful to Vinithra Akka ,her family and at last but not the least Rubini di..for whom I have some good memories to recollect.





                                                                                                                    ©Debarati Datta 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading the post and if you like it then don't forget to fill a comment and send that to me .